Thursday, December 20, 2012


On the 8th day of Christmas …

Music

Music has always been a huge part of my life since I was little.  I can remember when I was maybe only three or four years old, my grandmother would put me up on top of a picnic table at the annual family reunion and say “sing for everyone”.  I would sing “You are my sunshine” and top it off with a sort of childlike soft shoe ending.

Over the years, I was in school choruses, several church choirs and even went on the road with my late husband as evangelists and sang in churches and faith groups all across the United States and Canada.  All anyone had to say was “sing, Shavanna” and I would break out in a song.  I remember one year at the airport in Washington D.C. while we were waiting for a flight, a group of us girls were just coming home from an Aglow Conference and one of the gals said the “magic” word and right there in the airport, I began to sing “hail Jesus you’re my King”….and everyone in the airport stopped as the gals echoed the song, which is how it goes.  About half way through I realized we were in a very public place and I looked around to see if I could read what people were thinking and they were all smiling and clapping and seemed to really be enjoying it.  I have always believed that music is a universal language, because even if you don’t understand the words, music touches the heart, heals the soul and enriches our spirits.

So it goes without saying that I absolutely love Christmas songs.  I have several favorite tapes that I play each year for a variety of different reasons.  My fun favorite is my redneck Christmas tape, and probably my most moving one is my Vince Gill tape.  I play Alan Jackson’s, Let it be Christmas because that song so speaks my message of “let it be Christmas everywhere, let heavenly music fill the hair, let every heart sing and every bell ring the story of hope and joy and peace and let it be Christmas, Christmas everywhere.  There is one song on the Vince Gill tape that always makes me cry because he wrote it about the first Christmas since his brother passed away and it so fits my youngest brother because Vince sings about how Christmas time was his favorite time of year.  I like to sit in front of my tree with only the Christmas lights on in the house and listen to the Vince Gill tape and reflect on what Christmas really means (which by the way is some of the words he says in one of his songs).

 I hope this Christmas that music fills your heart, soul and spirit and makes your Christmas Merry and Bright.

No comments:

Post a Comment